Saturday, January 30, 2010

Some favorites of 2009

I don't particularly care for using the term "best of," because art is so subjective that I can't tell you what the best was. And I certainly can't say that they're my absolute favorites from the year because there is so much else that I didn't see. So here are some of my favorites of 2009, in no particular order.

FILMS
(500) Days Of Summer
The Road
The Informant!
Zombieland










Big Fan
Up
The Girlfriend Experience
Funny People
Inglourious Basterds
The Cove
Moon
Up In The Air

LEAST FAVORITE FILM
Transformers 2
Runner up: Terminator Salvation

MUSIC










The B-Sharps - Play Cherchez Kahuna
Tinariwen - Imidiwan
Julian Casablancas - Phrazes For The Young
The Horrors - Primary Colours
Bob Dylan - Together Through Life
Tom Waits - Glitter and Doom Live
The Avett Brothers - I and Love and You
Lonesome Wyatt and Rachel Brooke - A Bitter Harvest

Most of the "new" bands I get into are buried treasure artists that haven't released in album in 20+ years, so I am so not up-to-date on current music. That was made even more apparent to me when I realized looking through the albums that came out last year that 1) I don't know at least half the bands on most critics' Top 10 lists and 2) that there are an awful lot of bands that I like that released new material that I wasn't even aware of. Bands like the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, The Flaming Lips, Sonic Youth, even Kiss. Also of note, though not on an album yet, Devo released a few new songs that's some of the best material they've done in years.

FAVORITE CONCERT
Bob Dylan in Bloomington, IN, November 2009
Runner up: The B-Sharps CD release in Fort Wayne, IN, 2009


I may post some additional favorites of 2009, but this is a good list so far. What other "favorites" categories can I do?

No comments:

Post a Comment