Saturday, January 30, 2010

First time as a recording engineer and mixer: The Bashville Boys

One of my favorite endeavors last semester was to find a band for a group project, bring them in for two days, record six songs, and then mix and master the songs. I was lucky enough to get my favorite local (Muncie, IN) band, The Bashville Boys, to come in and record.
















The recording day was long, but it all went smoothly. Everyone in the band (in the picture from left to right is Kyle, Pete, and Jim; not pictured is Nathan, who sat in on drums) was very patient with the process. Everyone doing the recording work in my group were very accommodating to what the band wanted and worked very well with them. I couldn't have asked for a better experience my first time doing the technical work of the recording process.

Each of my group members had to mix and master a song on their own. Posted below is the song I recorded and mixed. It's an original of theirs called "Waitin'" and it's one of my favorites. If you ever catch them live, one of the coolest elements is that they constantly switch instruments, which gives a surprising vibracy to not just the performance but to the sound. It can also make it difficult to track who plays what on what songs, though, if you're wondering. Posted below the song are some of the technical aspects for those who are curious.


"Waitin'" written by The Bashville Boys.
Jim Flatford - mandolin, vocals (1st verse, chorus)
Peter Gaunt - guitar, vocals (2nd verse, chorus)
Kyle Beaty - banjo, vocals (3rd verse, chorus)
Nathan Bilbrey - drums

Mixed on Pro Tools. For both the compressor and equalizer, I used the JoeMeek plug-ins.

No comments:

Post a Comment